FAQs - Commuters and the Public

How do I get help with potholes, dead animals, litter, clogged drains, traffic signs, traffic signals, mowing, and maintenance?

Visit the Contact MDOT SHA page here.

You can also call a local district office.

Who do I call if I break down on the highway?

For emergency roadside assistance call 410-582-5650.

How do I get traffic information?

Visit www.md511.org.

How do I find out about highway tolls and E-ZPass?

Visit the Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA) or call 866-713-1596.

Visit DriveEZMD for E-ZPass information.

How do I file a claim for damage done to my car or property on a Maryland State highway?

First report the incident using the Contact MDOT SHA page here. Then call the State Treasurer at 410-260-7684 or visit the State Treasurer’s Insurance Division.

How do I obtain a map?

The Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) now offers a large selection of interactive, downloadable, and printed maps at the MDOT Geographic Information System GIS Open Data Portal.

How do I find out about a proposed, planned or current construction project?

To find out about projects and related public meetings, visit the MDOT SHA Project Portal.

What do I do if I receive a citation for speeding in a work zone?

Visit Automated Speed Enforcement in Work Zones to pay a ticket or obtain information about this special safety program.

How do I find out about lane closures, traffic conditions, and weather-related problems?

Visit Maryland 511/the Coordinated Highways Action Response Team (CHART).

Don’t see what you’re looking for? Search questions by topic: