Maryland Portal Home
Click here for Accessible Site Navigation
Business Center
Projects & Studies
Commuter & Travel
Safety Programs
Environment & Community
Info Center
State Highway Administration

Access Management/Permits

Subscribe to E-mail Alerts Subscribe to Email Alerts

Welcome to SHA’s Access Management Division web page.



Effective June 1, 2015 all access permit related project submittals shall be sent to the District Engineer to the attention of the Regional Engineer as listed below:


District 1 (Dorcester, Somerset, Wicomico, Worcester)

District Engineer: Donnie Drewer

P.O. Box 2679

660 West Road

Salisbury MD  21802

Regional Engineer: Rochelle Outten


District 2 (Caroline, Cecil, Kent, Queen Anne’s, Talbot)

District Engineer: Greg Holsey

615 Morgnec Road

Chestertown MD 21620

Regional Engineer: Rochelle Outten


District 3 (Montgomery, Prince George’s)

District Engineer: Brian Young

9300 Kenilworth Avenue

Greenbelt MD  20770

Regional Engineer: Pranoy Choudhury


District 4 (Baltimore, Harford)

District Engineer: David Peake

320 West Warren Road

Hunt Valley MD  21030

Regional Engineer: Rich Zeller


District 5 (Anne Arundel, Calvert, Charles, St. Mary’s)

District Engineer: Lee Starkloff

138 Defense Highway

Annapolis MD  21401

Regional Engineer: Erich Florence


District 6 (Allegany, Garrett, Washington)

District Engineer: Anthony Crawford

1251 Vocke Road

La Vale MD  21502

Regional Engineer: Scott Newill


District 7 (Carroll, Frederick, Howard)

District Engineer: Mark Crampton

5111 Buckeystown Pike

Frederick MD  21704

Regional Engineer: Scott Newill

  • Access Management Division (AMD) Review Status Search page

    and AMD Flow Charts describing the various review cycles.
  • Commercial/Industrial/Residential Subdivision Access Permit

    This type of permit covers:

    • Entrances for commercial or industrial site access (new or modified),
    • Public or private street connections for subdivision access (new or modified),
    • Off-site SHA improvements by developers, where mandated by the local jurisdiction in connection with development approval or required by SHA,
    • Local government (county or municipal) road improvement projects on State right-of-way, when related to conditions of land use/development approval or resulting in a new highway intersection,
    • Highway rehabilitation/streetscape improvements that involve work in the travel lanes of the State highway,
    • Temporary construction access for the above.

    The process to obtain a Commercial/Industrial/Subdivision Access Permit is closely tied to the local government’s planning and zoning/development review process. It is crucial that a developer begin the process of obtaining local development approval prior to submitting any requests to SHA’s Access Management Division. The local planning and zoning office will forward your submittals to SHA for our review. The following information will help you to submit the proper materials:

    Submittal review status
    State Highway Access Manual
    Process flow charts
    AMD Regional Maps
    Access Permit Statewide - Communication Matrix
    Documents and Links:

    If you need additional assistance, you may contact the office directly at (410) 545-5600 or toll free at 1-800-876-4742. You may contact us by email at Please reference the SHA Tracking Number when you call or email.

  • In April 2010 a Highway Access Permit Stakeholder Review Group convened to streamline the process for granting access permits that connect new developments to Maryland’s highways. The result of the group’s review are reflected in this process, which is applicable for residential and commercial access requests. The staff of the Access Management Division, as well as representatives from your local SHA District Offices, are available to assist you in applying for the appropriate permit.

  • District level Access Permit

    Except when required in connection with an Commercial/Industrial/Residential Access Permit, the following projects and activities within the State right-of-way require a permit issued by the appropriate District office.

    • Construction or modification of residential driveways
    • Repair or replacement of entrances, curb and gutter, or pavement
    • Construction, repair, or replacement of sidewalk
    • Grading
    • Construction or modification of drainage connections
    • Utility work
    • Landscaping
    • Highway rehabilitation and/or streetscape improvements by local government (county or municipal)
    • Sign placement
    • Any other work on the State highway
    • Any other work within the State's right-of-way (highway right of way, easement areas, land holdings, etc.)
    • Pedestrian facilities and bus shelters

    Prospective applicants should coordinate with the District Office staff for further information on the process and requirements for obtaining their permits. It should be noted that all utility work must be coordinated with and permitted through the District office, independent of the Access Permit.

 Print Decrease Text SizeReset Text SizeIncrease Text Size
horizontal line
Maryland Department of Transportation


707 North Calvert Street Baltimore, Maryland 21202